NYC Chess Tournaments
Celebrating over 30 years of developing after school chess programs in the greater NY area.
All Upcoming Bryant Park Chess Tournaments
See full Tournament info below schedule
Tri-State Chess Championship
The seasons are changing and the weather is getting warmer, so it is time to start playing tournament chess outdoors again! Our very popular outdoor tournaments at Bryant Park are here once again.
Our tournament held on September 26, 2021 drew 241 players and our May 1st event drew 243 players and the most recent one on June 19 drew about 230 players!
Our fourth of 5 monthly tournaments will be played on August 28, 2022.
Over 100 trophies and prizes will be awarded at each tournament and the higher sections will have longer time controls as usual.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the U 1800 Section. Based upon Entries, with 80% of entry fees returned as prizes. The winner from September took home $630.00 for 1st place! And 3 lucky (skillful) players each received $455 for their 3-0 performance at the June 19th Championship.
Bryant Park Tournament Schedule
BEGINNER - Pre K -1 Not Rated, No Clocks
NOVICE - Grades K-2 Under 600 | G/25; d/5
ELEMENTARY - Grades K-6 Under 500 | G/25; d/5
RESERVE - Grades K-8 Under 800 | G/35; d/5
ADVANCED - Grades K-12 Under 1000 | G/40; d/5
CHAMPIONSHIP- K-12 Under 1400 | G/40; d/5
Under 1800 SECTION- $$$ CASH Prizes | G/55; d/5
80% of Entry Fees returned as prizes
4-SS 4 Rounds Per Section, U 1800 3-SS 3 Rounds
Entrants can ‘play up’ into any section.
All Sections Rated By The United States Chess Federation (USCF).
There is no elimination! All players play all rounds.
Time & Location:
- Bryant Park Fountain Plaza.
- Round one begins at 10:00AM. Rounds 2-4 will begin as soon as the previous round has finished.
- On site registration: 9:00 - 9:30 AM. Late entrants may not be paired for the first round.
- TOURNAMENT SITE: Bryant Park Fountain Plaza. Enter at W. 41st & 6th Ave.
All CDC and government related restrictions will be strictly adhered to. Check our website for Coronavirus restriction updates, as we get closer to the event, as restrictions will most likely change as we move forward.
- Entry Fees:
$49.00 if received online 6 days before tournament
Please register in advance if possible, to avoid the additional $10 late fee.
- Membership Required: $20.00/yr for the U.S. CHESS FEDERATION (USCF),
- Send entry and make checks payable to Tri-State Chess:
The Chess Exchange, 325 E. 88 St. New York, NY 10128 … Fax (917) 477-2110 Info (212) 289-5997
- Credit card entries accepted by phone, fax, mail & Online: www.TriStateChess.com Info@TriStateChess.com
Please Bring Chess Clock if you have one. Boards & Pieces supplied.
- Trophies to Top 15 in Beginner, Novice and Elementary
- Trophies to top 10 in Reserve. Advanced and Championship
- Anyone scoring 2 points and not getting a place prize wins a High Scorer trophy
- All others win a chess medal with the name of the event engraved on the back
- Trophies to top 4 Teams in Beginner, Novice & Elementary
- Trophies to Top 2 Teams in Reserve, Advanced and Championship sections
- The top 4 scorers from the same school in the same section make up the team score. Minimum 2 players
Due to a large number of players withdrawing at the last moment, we are implementing the following policy. Once the late entry fee goes into effect at midnight, 72 hours before the tournament, no refunds will be provided for any reason to players who need to drop out of the tournament.Otherwise, our standard refund policy remains the same: Players who drop out of the tournament before the late entry fee goes into effect can have a credit for the full amount of the registration fee to be used towards any future tournament. Players who want the refund to go to their credit card can have the refund minus a $10 registration fee.
Tournaments at Bryant Park are divided into 7 sections based upon age and strength. Players can play "up" into any section. The top section includes Adults and offers Cash prizes. Trophies, plaques and medals to all others.